What is TWELVTY?
• a brand new, year-long program running throughout 2017.
• a journey around the color wheel where we dive deep exploring just one color per month.
• a community of artists, creatives, idea explorers who have taken the challenge to explore one color at a time in their creative practice
• a chance to join my working process as I take on a new single color project each month.
• a feast of resources, prompts and content designed to inspire you and to integrate into any creative practice.
• and a it's totally made up word 😉
I was inspired by a personal project I made through 2012: an art journaling project I called 12 in 12.
This, in turn, had been inspired by the textile artist, Marlene Glickman's "Day by Day: Pieces of Life" from her Daily Color Series.
Marlene spoke about devoting a whole month to just one color: 12 colors in the color wheel make a year full of color.
The idea lit me up.
I had to try this.
And this year, I had to revisit the idea again.
Such is the way of a compelling idea that will not let you rest until it completely plays itself out.
The TWELVTY Art Journal
To keep the spirit of the original idea alive I've got a color-a-month art journal running throughout this year too.
The book I'm using this year is a worn out old World Atlas. Seems fitting - this is a journey around the color wheel.
Month by month the book is getting fatter with collaged left overs from the month's doings and makings.
Layers upon layers that remind me of the journey, and that sew the seeds for future projects.
What's your TWELVTY?
The beauty of a program like this is you can adapt it to your own style. Taking your inspiration from one color could take many forms.
I'm really excited to see what YOU bring to TWELVTY - What makes you really light up?
- Art Journalling, Mixed Media
- Watercolor, Acrylic, Oil Painting
- Drawing, Illustration
- Weaving, Fibre & Textile Art
- Film, Video, Vlogging
- Poetry, Prose, Playwriting
- Portrait Painting
- Embroidery, Tapestry
- Quilting, Patchwork
- Ceramics, Sculpture
- Collage, Assemblage
- Digital Art, Animation
- Jewellery, Beading
- Knitting, Crochet, Yarn-craft
- What else?
"Color possesses me. I don't have to pursue it. It will possess me always, I know it."
- Paul Klee.